Australian Research Council (ARC) Chief Executive Officer, Professor Sue Thomas, has announced the appointment of eight Research Evaluation Committee (REC) chairpersons who will perform a key role in the 2018 round of Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA).
“I am delighted to announce the appointment of a distinguished group of researchers, who will undertake the role of REC Chairs for ERA 2018. They each bring outstanding experience and expertise which will ensure that ERA 2018 evaluations are of the highest standard,” said Professor Thomas.
The REC Chairs for ERA 2018 are:
- Professor Rose Amal, The University of New South Wales—Engineering and Environmental Sciences
- Professor Hugh Barrett, The University of Western Australia—Medical and Health Sciences
- Professor Brenda Cherednichenko, Deakin University—Education and Human Society
- Professor David Green, Monash University—Mathematics, Information and Computing Sciences
- Professor Eleanor Mackie, The University of Melbourne—Biological and Biotechnological Sciences
- Professor Flavio Menezes, The University of Queensland—Economics and Commerce
- Professor John O’Connor, The University of Newcastle—Physical, Chemical and Earth Sciences
- Emeritus Professor Graeme Turner, The University of Queensland—Humanities and Creative Arts
A brief biography for each of the above researchers is available on the ARC website.
Professor Thomas also acknowledged the continuing and significant contribution of the sector to ERA.
“The ARC has received a substantial number of nominations, from Australian and overseas researchers across a range of disciplines, for membership of the 2018 RECs. We are currently finalising the composition of the RECs, to ensure the strongest possible membership for ERA 2018.”
An announcement of the full membership is expected to be made.
The ERA 2018 evaluation round opened for submissions on 19 March 2018.