This project will focus on the development of the Healthy Heads in Trucks & Sheds (HHTS) mobile app and development of an evidence-based health score. Both will support the health and wellbeing of over 1.2 million people working across the transport and logistics industries in Australia.
- Institute of Health Engineering (IHealthE), UNSW Sydney
- Charles Perkins Centre, University of Sydney
- Healthy Heads in Trucks & Sheds Foundation
HHTS is an industry-for-industry not-for-profit foundation, established by road transport, warehousing and logistics operators to support driver and worker physical and mental wellbeing.
The foundation is working with industry, government, the mental health sector, and research partners to utilise technology to support those working in the sector and their families through the development of an app and an integrated Health Score algorithm.
The overall goal of this initiative is to create a health and wellness program, based on evidence that:
- covers mental and physical health concurrently
- tracks wellness over time using a Health Score displayed in the app that could prompt further action
- is focused on behaviour change; and
- is a platform for sharing information and resources
UNSW has been engaged to deliver an evidence-based app utilising a Health Score algorithm and other measures to track the wellbeing of users over time, including a back-end database and server for monitoring. The Charles Perkins Centre at the University of Sydney will build the evidence-based algorithm to inform the Health Score.
Due to timelines and available budget for Phase 1 of this program, the effectiveness evaluation of the program and the refinement / final validity testing of the Health Score over an extended period of time and use are out of scope for this particular project. That said, these would be components of Phase 2, ensuring sustainability of the app in future.
- Understand existing patterns of health-related behaviour and mental health among the target occupational groups.
- In partnership with IHealthE at UNSW and a private app developer, develop an app that meets the needs of the target occupational groups utilising evidence-based approaches.
- Develop an evidence-based Health Score for use in the Healthy Head program app.
- Pilot/test with user groups and then launch the app and Health Score with the target occupational groups.
More from iMOVE